The Colossi of Memnon (known to locals as el-Colossat or es-Salamat) are two massive stone statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III,
who reigned during Dynasty XVIII. For the past 3,400 years (since 1350 BC) they have stood in the Theban necropolis,
west of the River Nile from the modern city of Luxor.
The twin statues depict Amenhotep III (fl. 14th century BC) in a seated position,
his hands resting on his knees and his gaze facing eastwards (actually ESE in modern bearings) towards the river.
Two shorter figures are carved into the front throne alongside his legs: these are his wife Tiy and mother Mutemwiya.
The side panels depict the Nile god Hapy.
The statues are made from blocks of quartzite sandstone which was quarried at el-Gabal el-Ahmar (near modern-day Cairo)
and transported 675 km (420 mi) overland to Thebes.