The Prignitz (in older spelling also Priegnitz, formerly referred to as Vormark) is a historical region in the northwest of the country Brandenburg.
Essentially, it covers the Prignitz district and parts of the district Ostprignitz-Ruppin.
Small parts of the historic region Prignitz now belong also to Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Landkreis Ludwigslust-Parchim) and Saxony-Anhalt (in Havelberg).
The region consists mainly of agriculturally embossed plains, forests and heathland.
Main cities are Wittenberge, Perleberg, Pritzwalk, Wittstock and Kyritz. In the villages Low German is spoken still occasionally.
The confluence of the rivers Havel and Elbe forms the western boundary of the region.
The Plattenburg is a water castle in the independent municipality of Plattenburg in the German district of Prignitz in northwestern Brandenburg.
It was first documented in 1319, making it the oldest surviving water castle in northern Germany.
The castle was first mentioned in 1319, Bishop Reiner of Havelberg having purchased it from Margrave Waldemar of Brandenburg.
In 1548 Plattenburg became the seventh Prignitz district. After the death of the last bishop of Havelberg, Busso II, the Elector of Brandenburg,
Joachim II, who had recently converted to the Lutheran Church, had his son Frederick IV elected as Bishop of Havelberg in 1551.
Rühstädt is a municipality in the Prignitz district, in Brandenburg, Germany.
It is located close the confluence of the rivers Havel and Elbe.
Rühstädt is famous for its high number of resident white storks and has been awarded the title European Stork Village by the initiative EuroNatur in 1996.
The name of the village Rühstädt probably goes back to the word resting place and is related to
that in the crypt of the village church, the final resting place of the old Brandenburg Knight family Quitzow,
which played an important role in the history of Brandenburg in the late Middle Ages.